Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a commonly asked question, you may find the answer here


How many wardens do I need?

The number of wardens needed in a workplace will depend on a number of key aspects including but not limited to; the complexity of your workplace, how many and the type of building occupants your workplace has, the nature and hours of work at your workplace, the installed fire safety features in your workplace and most importantly what your workplace emergency plan requires in terms of the roles your staff are responsible for. More information can be gained from the relevant Australian Standards.

Does adult learning have an expiry date?

When a person is deemed competent for a specific unit of competency, usually a certificate of completion or statement of attainment is awarded. A person’s competency must then be maintained and this can be done through further structured training or in house desktop/simulated exercises on a regular basis.  Currently, for all Wardens this is 6 monthly as per the AS.  In the absence of any further development or skills maintenance over a period of 6 months a person’s competency can be questioned. Skills such as first aid or use of breathing apparatus require annual skills maintenance as these are high risk competencies where errors can be critical to a person’s safety. If you are unsure of your competency status, please contact a TasFire Training consultant, who can provide advice and schedule training if required.

How do I pay for training?

When booking your training you will select a course and a number of places, then move onto the checkout, here a form will open and at this point you will be prompted to select “send me an invoice” or “pay by credit card”. If you select pay by invoice you will be sent an invoice on completion of the course. If you pay by credit card before the course and it is cancelled you will be refunded in full, if the course is not rescheduled for a time that suits your needs.

Can I have training delivered at my workplace?

Yes you can if you have 8 or more people who require training and your venue is suitable and safe for the type of training required. If your workplace is defined as isolated requiring two or more hours travel from our nearest regional training centre additional charges may apply, this will be assessed by your regional training consultant.

Does TasFire Training write or develop emergency plans for workplaces?

In short no, we encourage workplace places to develop their own emergency plans, as this provides strong ownership by the stakeholders and there is greater chance of the plan addressing all relevant risks and being effective and therefore save lives. Our consultants are happy to provide advice as required and also TFS provides free templates and further advice and web links for emergency plans in respect of fire at

How many people can I have on a training course?

Generally TasFire Training recommends a maximum of 12-15 participants depending on course to maximise adult learning, however this can vary. If participant numbers are less than 6 the benefits of group learning reduce and the training is not as cost effective to the employer as minimum changes apply for single employer groups. In the same way larger groups are also problematic as the larger the group the learning experience can diminish depending on the type of course. Larger groups can be split into manageable group sizes and may require additional instructors and co-ordination of groups on the day.

I need training in more than one region, who do I contact?

You may be able to find the course you are after in our regional courses menu, however if you call your local training consultant they will co-ordinate the training in both regions.

I have lost my certificate, can I get a copy?

Yes, simply contact your local training consultant by email, refer to the contact details in the location menu and provide, your full name, your employer when you attained the competency, your date of birth and your mailing address.

Do I need a unique student identifier (USI)?

You need to provide a USI if you are completing a nationally accredited unit of competency, resulting in the issue of a statement of attainment. TasFire Training requires all participants to provide their usi before a certificate can be issued in regard to a relevant course.